Monday 6 October 2008

Eat something wild every day

Lingonberries and mountaintrout from a lake on an uninhabited island we go to across the sound opposite our house.

Last spring I went on a fantastic fermenting and herbal course by Frank Cook and Sandor Ellix Katz (what a truly amazing name!) at Schumacher College in Devon. They were a great team of wild knowledge and fired my insatiable hunger for knowing more about self sufficiency and establishing a closer relationship to the plants around me. I want to know the stories and the families and the uses, both medicinal and as foodstuff and herbs. Frank Cook has a great motto that I try and live: Eat something wild every day. I believe it is the best way to get closer to the wild and leave the stronghold of our separation-culture behind. Lingonberries and trout are my arctic wild treats. In London it would be dandelions.

No comments: